Northern Territory, Chambers Pillar
Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve, located 160 kilometres from Alice Springs, is home to Chambers Pillar, a spectacular solitary column towering 40 metres above the Simpson Desert plain. Chambers Pillar was formed from sandstone deposited and worn down over 340 million years.
This landmark was very important in guiding the region’s earliest pioneers and is at its spectacular best at sunrise and sunset. John MacDouall Stuart, heading north on his earliest attempt to cross Australia, first recorded the pillar in April 1860 and named it after James Chambers, one of his South Australian sponsors
Chambers PillarSimpson DesertNorthern TerritoryJames ChambersAustralia